GROUP ACTIVITY SUGGESTION: Break youth into small groups. Have them choose one person from each group to dress up like a Christmas tree.
ICE BREAKER QUESTION: What’s your favorite Christmas memory (gift given / received?)?
Q: How do you expect the people who love you to treat you?
Q: How do you expect God to treat you?
LOOK AT THE BOOK
- Read Scripture (see above)
- What are the “wages of sin”? (Might need to briefly discuss what “wages” means)
- What kind of death is this? Physical? Spiritual?
- How do we avoid the kind of death the scripture talks about? (God’s love through Jesus Christ)
- How much does this service of God saving us from sin and death cost?
- Say, “We have talked about what we expect from those who love us. We obviously expect a lot from God, and God has obviously given a lot to us.”
- What does God expect from us? (Vs. 10 – good works, love, devotion, repentance etc.)
- What do we usually expect to give to God? (Usually very little, if anything)
- How do we change this? (Start by committing ourselves to being a Christmas blessing to God)